What day is garbage and recycling picked up? 

Mondays. If Monday is a holiday, the pickup day would then be Tuesday.
Please have your receptacles out by 7am. 

Do I need a pet license for my dog or cat?   Pet License Info

Yes, you will need to fill out a pet license for your dogs as well as your cats and supply the City with a copy of the proof of current rabies vaccine.

What if I want to replace a sidewalk or driveway, do I need a zoning permit?   

A permit is required for replacing a portion of your sidewalk, patio or driveway. Forms can be found on the website or by requesting one from City Hall, 549-3240.

Zoning Permit Application

When do I need a zoning permit? 

The following are required constructions that require a zoning permit per Ordinance #66.  Zoning Ord. #66

  • Any new construction, commercial, and/or industrial construction as well as any

improvement which will enlarge the physical exterior of the existing structure

  • To build, enlarge, replace a porch, patio, deck, or steps
  • Utility shed—for assembly or moving onto the lot of record
  • Moving of houses, garages, sheds into the City or from one location to another
  • Fences—includes fences used for dog kennels
  • Driveways—new asphalt blacktop or new concrete
  • Sidewalk—replace or build new

Where do I vote?    Website Election info

Citizens of Vernon Center should register to vote at the Blue Earth County Historic Courthouse, 204 S. 5th St., Mankato, MN, Blue Earth County. If you are registered, you will receive a mail-in ballot. You can mail in your ballot or  take it to the Blue Earth County Historic Courthouse to vote in person. For more information, you can call 507-304-4341 or visit the elections website at https://www.blueearthcountymn.gov/326/Elections

What do I do with my grass clippings and leaves?

The City has a monitored compost site that is open year-round Saturdays from 9 am to 2 pm. Directions to compost site: go west on Co. Rd 10 (First St. W.), turn left at 1st intersection, go south ½ mile, turn right and the gated compost site is on the left side of the road. No garbage from City residents is accepted at the site (garbage on-site is for Vernon Center Township ONLY).

♦  GRASS clippings and LEAVES cannot be blown into the streets.

♦  All grass greater than 6” and weeds are in violation of city ordinance, please maintain them.

Can I park my vehicle on the street?

Yes, you may park your vehicle on the street for up to 72 hours at a time. NO Junk vehicles (including unlicensed vehicles) are allowed within City limits. NO parking on any city street after a plowable snow of 2” or more until streets have been cleared. Please refer to Ord. #91 Parking & Storage of Vehicles, Junk & Abandoned Vehicles.  Ord #91 General Parking & Storage of Vehicles

Do I need to contact anyone if I want to plant a tree on my property?   Start your Dig call here

Yes, you should call Gopher State One, 811 or 800-252-1166. It is the law that you need to call before you dig. No trees should be planted in the Right of Way including the boulevard (between sidewalk and curb) or on top of any utility lines.